Thursday, September 15, 2011

Parent Volunteers

I am blessed to have a great number of parents that have expressed an interest in volunteering in our classroom.  I have a variety of ways that parents can help.

1.  The Play Dough Maker's Club
     These parents sign up to make an assigned color from our classroom play dough recipe.  We have a variety of allergies, so I prefer that parents make the play dough by the recipe.  My sister (a first grade teacher) mentioned to me that she preferred store bought play dough, but I thought that this would be a nice project for both parent and child.  We will use the play dough for letter formation practice and number formation practice.

2.  Writer's Workshop
    The second half of our Writer’s Workshop takes place immediately following lunch.  Students will be writing in their journals at this time.  Parent volunteers would be guiding students during their writing, encouraging students to write the sounds that they hear, and writing what students dictate as being their journal entry.   The time commitment for this would be on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

3.  Reader's Workshop
     During Reader's Workshop, I am making a special time in my schedule on Fridays for a Mystery Reader.  The Mystery Reader will come in during our Reader's Workshop with a special book to read, either from home or from our classroom library.  I welcome parents with younger children to come during this time.  As long as the younger sibling can sit on the carpet and enjoy the story, we are happy to have them as guests in our classroom.  Those that can volunteer without a younger sibling with them are welcome to stay and assist through our literacy workstations immediately following Mystery Reader time.

Here's a freebie download of my Volunteer Opportunity form.

Google Doc of Volunteer Opportunity Form

No comments:

Post a Comment