Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mathematician's Chair

Math instruction in my room includes a variety of methods.  I use hands on manipulatives with a whole group, followed by small group hands on practice.  I also use math journals with my students.  I haven't decided when the math journaling should take place, at the beginning of our math time to activate math thinking or at the end of our math instruction, to act as the closer.  Any suggestions? 

I'm giving math journals a revival in my classroom.  I tried them my second year of teaching and wasn't able to stick with the routine.  One of my new school year resolutions is to give math journaling a second go.  While browsing the internet, I found a great resources from Mrs. Wills Kindergarten- a freebie download of math journal labels, 5 writing prompts, and an example of her use of math journals in the classroom.


The night before school started, I created a "Mathematician's Chair."  While back to school shopping in my parents' storage above the garage, I found an old plastic patio chair.  I thought this would be a perfect addition to my classroom (mostly because it was free).  I originally was just going to spray paint it and call it a day.  But when I committed to having math journals, I knew my math journaling time would conclude with a time of sharing.  I found a combination of foam sticky numbers and shapes and wood chip numbers and used fabulous E6000 glue to attach them to the chair.  Then I spray painted away with one of my favorites- SILVER spray paint!  It looks splotchy in the picture but I promise it looks better in person- it's just difficult to get a good picture of it.  

As I intro math journaling, I'll be taking my time with it- I want to be successful and I know that in kindergarten, if you start things slowly and habitually, it becomes routine.  I'll keep you posted on my adventures in math journaling!

No comments:

Post a Comment