Monday, September 12, 2011

M is for Marshmallows, Moose, and Mice!

We will be kicking off our study of the alphabet with the letter M.  My hubby asked a common question- "Why not start at the beginning of the alphabet?"  My response was.... well, it's kinda like Wheel of Fortune.  You start with the most commonly used consonants and then gradually fill in vowels.  Once you have the most commonly used consonants and a few vowels under your belt, you can begin to build words.

Our reading series begins with letter M.  In my previous school division, we had to use the core reading series with fidelity, meaning we couldn't deviate from the series.   We could supplement, but not replace the instruction suggested in the series.  Currently, I'm planning on using the reading series for my reader's workshop whole group instruction.  My literacy work stations will take place during small group instruction in reader's workshop but will not be guided by the reading series.

After the week is over, I'll give a report with photos of our fun with the letter "M."  For now, here's a sneak peak of some of the books we'll be reading this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment