Monday, August 29, 2011

Traveling Nachos

Yummmm.... gross.  So, in elementary school, one of our school lunch choices was called "Traveling Nachos."  What it amounted to was ground taco beef scooped into a single serving bag of Doritos.  The food was actually tasty, but when you think about the name and the concept= very gross.

At my old school, the students had one choice.  At my new school there are 5 choices.  Students can have a salad on Wednesdays, yogurt or a peanut butter sandwich any day, or the other prepared options.  I knew that my kindergarten friends would need to make a choice daily, so I began formulating my plan for operation "lunch choice."

I began browsing pinterest and found this lunch choice board from Mrs. Wright.  I liked the concept and I'm all about using magnets and velcro!  I just didn't know how quickly my kindergarten friends would pick up on having a classroom "number."


A really nice first grade teacher at my new school was going through her room and was giving away things she no longer needed.  I was lucky to receive a 30 count set of these little "Chefs."  They came in a 30 count tub.  When I got them, I hadn't finished formulating my lunch choice plan.  I chose to sleep on it and came up with a plan in my dreams!

When I was organizing my room, I found several things that would eventually use to create my lunch choice area.  I found the lunch tray in my room, whipped out my hot glue gun to attach the 5 clear cups, and added velcro to each cup.  When I was organizing the "stuff" in my room, I found the yellow file box of all of the lunch choices, sorted in little folders with velcro already on the back of each card!  I also found the numbered pocket chart.  I pulled out my gold paint pen (every classy teacher needs a little bling in her repertoire) and numbered the back of each Chef.  

When I get my roster, I will be making new labels for the pocket chart.  Each label will include a student's name and a corresponding number.  My little friends will be able to make their lunch choice daily and I will be able to tell which little Chef belongs to which little kindergarten friend.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! We had traveling nachos in school too! Lol. Did you go to school in Virginia?

    ReplyDelete