Monday, August 29, 2011

Bulletin Boards: the nemesis of every teacher

When I was a student, I loved bulletin boards!  When my second grade teacher let us help put them up, we were so lucky!  As a student teacher, I was eager to offer to put up bulletin boards for my cooperating teacher.  As a first year teacher, I happily put up my first classroom bulletin boards.  Now in my sixth year... bulletin boards are on the bottom of my "fun" list.  Why this change of heart?  Well, it all goes back to my lack of spacial awareness.  You have to be certain to get enough bulletin board paper to cover the entire board twice.  After trotting back and forth from the workroom where bulletin board paper is kept, you begin to lose a little bit of your soul.  How many times does it take before you rip off the perfect amount of paper?

Okay, back to positive thinking.  In order to make my bulletin boards stay up all year, I don't put up thematic boards.  Each of my boards has a purpose and my kindergarten friends will use the boards daily.  While arranging the furniture, I began putting up notes on each bulletin board.  I wanted my Word Wall to be on a long bulletin board that was visible to all students.  I needed a spot for our Classroom Behavior stuff and a LOT of space for morning meeting/ calendar time.


This bulletin board is located next to the coatracks directly beside the classroom door.  I like to keep my bus information near the door in a very obvious spot.  My mother always told me that during the first week of school if every child got on the right bus, you had a successful day.  So, if I'm ever not in the room at dismissal time, I want my substitute to easily be able to find bus information.  We haven't gotten our rosters yet, so when I get transportation information, that will be posted.

You'll notice my classroom management system is sharing the bulletin board space with transportation information.  I found the 5 bee promises while perusing pinterest.  Sarah Cooley of First Grader At Last is to receive the credit for this great manage system!  I am so excited about moving to a management system that doesn't require me to scrounge up treats for my treats box.  Let's reward positive and appropriate behavior with fun and free incentives!


My calendar area takes up 2 bulletin boards.  Located to the left of my calendar is an overhead sheet with the 100s chart, a hundreds, tens, and ones pocket chart, and a copy of the September poem from Maurice Sendak's Chicken Noodle Soup with Rice.  Why are these things included with my calendar?  Counting up to day 100 is a big deal in Kindergarten and we will color in a square for each day of school on our hundreds chart.  We will put a stick in the ones pocket for each day of school (and eventually move them to the tens and hundreds pocket).  I like to use the Chicken Noodle Soup with Rice monthly poems because it gives the students a daily opportunity to see the "ch" blend in action.  


This is part deux of my calendar/morning meeting area.  It includes a spot for the days of the week where we talk about yesterday, today, and tomorrow, a daily attendance area, and a weather spot. The daily attendance is a relatively new part of my calendar.  Each morning, each student will get a unifix cube.  As we begin our morning at the carpet in a circle, we will count together as we connect each unifix cube.  We will save the cubes for the students who are not present and make sure that they are represented and we will compare our final rod of unifix cubes with the rod with our total number of students.  The weather section will include making observations and graphing those daily observations.  I'm thinking about including daily temperature- what do you think?


In the background of this shot, you can see my Word Wall.  I found this great wrapping paper for a $1 in the Target Dollar Spot.  One of my friends (Gale) had turned me on to finding wrapping paper as an bulletin board paper.  It has changed my life!  Cheaper than fabric and offers more to the eye than the plain old paper. This roll of wrapping paper has a pattern using blue and white lines and is a great subtle background.  The black letters (made on my mother's Cricut machine with the Plantin Schoolhouse cartridge) contrast nicely with the paper.  



2 comments:

  1. I actually have two goals for the first day(s) of school--
    1. Make sure no one bleeds.
    2. Make sure everyone gets on the right bus!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are two great goals:) My mom is a secretary in an elementary school so she always gets to hang out kids that missed the bus and deal with transportation issues... that's probably why she stressed the importance of everyone getting on the right bus to me.

    ReplyDelete